Pacific Hotel Cairns Environmental Statement
The Pacific Hotel Cairns is located at the gateway to The Great Barrier Reef, a World Heritage Area declared in 1981 by UNESCO because of its outstanding universal value.
The Listing recognised the Reef as being one of the most remarkable places on earth, as well as its global importance and its natural worth.
Acknowledging its strategic location, the Pacific Hotel Cairns is committed to conservation efforts that support long term environmental practices.
We are committed to integrating environmentally positive operating practices into our Hotel which provide superior guest experience and at the same time benefit the local environment.
Some of the ways in which the Pacific Hotel Cairns fosters its environmental commitment are:
Natural Resource Conservation
- Incandescent light bulbs have been replaced with energy efficient LED bulbs wherever possible
- Motion sensors have been installed in public restrooms and many back-of house areas including office areas to automatically turn off lights when not in use
- Energy consumption is further reduced by many kilowatt hours through efficiency projects including air-conditioning and guest lifts
- The towel and bed linen reuse program in guest rooms conserves water and energy usage
- Office Paper sourced from 100% sustainable plantation in Indonesia. The paper mill has an ISO 9001 certified Environmental Management System.
- Environmental Management Fee – Laundry Service provider
The Hotel pays a surcharge of 3.5% to its Laundry Service provider. The provider has a waste management system in place to reduce the amount of waste water leaving their premises. The Laundry Service provider is environmentally conscious as they have a recycled water plant and a new boiler to reduce gas emissions and energy consumption.
Waste Management and Recycling
- Garbage is sorted for recycling behind the scenes.
Chemicals and Cleaning Systems
- Pacific Hotel Cairns is the first hotel in Cairns to introduce a top to bottom micro-fibre cleaning system. Micro-fibre is 40 times more efficient in picking up dirt and bacteria from surfaces. Because of the efficiency and the unique properties of the fibre, chemical use is considerably reduced which eliminates the risk of polluting the environment through contaminated water and is safer for personnel engaged in cleaning activities.